Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton - May 30, 2010 - Eric

What's Happening:
The first time I heard the phrase "The first thing in the Bible that God said is not good is for man to be alone" (Genesis 2:18) was probably 13 or 14 years ago, during a sermon. I took to it right away, but I considered it to be an indication the God wanted me to have a suitable girlfriend, which oddly enough, matched what I wanted anyways. Ha! God is so much deeper and wider than my thinking.

In broader terms God is referring to the importance of fellowship, which is one of the important principles (as if we were organized enough to have written principles) of Mass Chaos. It's often easy to discount fellowship, after all, it just looks like people having a good time. Indeed, after Mass on Sunday we went out to eat at Old Chicago and then over to Cosmic Bowling, and I had a blast, as did the people who were there ... but something else is at work too.

I was reflecting on something Brianne had said every week for the last several weeks "...is it Sunday yet?" I realized that in just these few short weeks, my attitude has gone from "Sunday again?" to "Is it Sunday yet?". It's not about spending time with people I'm getting to know while bowling, it's about spending time with people I'm growing to love in the presence of God.

The first time that I went to church with Brianne was on a Holy Day last year. I can't remember which day it was, but it was a noon Mass at Mary Our Queen, and we both had to rush to get there. I look back at it and think it cemented our friendship. I cannot remember the first time I met Frank and Joe, but I know when the first time I went to church with them, it was the 1100 (also) at Mary Our Queen on my birthday last year. I've spent time with each prior to the first time I went to church with them, but I'll remember when they made the effort to spend time with me in the presence of God.

Putting (may not be the right word, but) my friends in front of God, and then enjoying fellowship with them, how can I help but learn, and grow, and love, in His name? I am wondering to myself, who will I be meeting at Mass Chaos this week? Come and join us, we're excited to have you with us on our journey.

100_2787.JPG - Me
Ben, Me, Frank, Brianne, Andy, Vesper, and Joe. Many thanks to Molly for the camera work.

Location and Architecture
Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, 5419 North 114th Street, Omaha. I just read through the history tab on the parish website, and was surprised to see that the church seated 700. The space seems much more intimate, and it was a feeling I liked. I think we sat about halfway down, but it seemed just a few rows away from the priest and the altar. The crucifix was virtually alone on the wall, and the Statue of Mary stood in front of the lectern. Very nice and understated. I've been suffering from camera envy lately, and while not quite a deadly sin, it's a lemon juice in a papercut one ... very annoying. My plan is to attempt to resolve this issue around my birthday with a new one. So what I'm saying is I don't have as many photos as I would have liked to have.

100_2780.JPG - Me 100_2784.JPG - Me
100_2789.JPG - Me 100_2798.JPG - Me
You can see all my pictures from Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton here.

Music / Psalm 8
On Saturday night I sat in the dark on the back deck at my house. In the quiet I looked at the stars and saw the moon rise. Sunday Psalm 8 was sung, verses 4, 5, and the response were almost exactly what I was thinking.

When I behold your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars which you set in place —
What is man that you should be mindful of him,
or the son of man that you should care for him?
O Lord, our God, how wonderful your name in all the earth!

Holy Trinity / Gospel:
"But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming." John 16:13

The Spirit will declare to you things that are coming. What? What is coming? I need to be prepared! What is coming? The kingdom of God is coming! The Spirit not only tells us what is coming, the Spirit also helps us to be prepared for the arrival.

God has sent His Spirit to us to tell us about what is coming and to guide us to on how to get there. Our God wants you to be with Him and has sent His Son and His Spirit in order to help us find our way to Him. This is the kind of God we have. Really nothing has been left to chance, He's laid out the path before us, all we have to do is to choose to follow.

Father, show me, with the help of your Spirit and your Son, the path that leads to you.

Prayers:
Please pray for:
Tom who is being deployed to Afghanistan, and his wife and two daughters.
My friend C., who is recovering from being ill.
My friend B., who is struggling with herself lately.
Heidi as she prepares for a mission trip to Haiti in July.
Me, I'm pretty burned out on the job lately.

Peace, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment