Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sacred Heart

I have to say that I do feel blessed for having the opportunity to have this group of friends, new and old. I came into Sunday feeling a bit uninspired, and luckily for us all... I did not leave that way ;)

We journeyed to Sacred Heart (2207 Wirt St)

The altar was pretty neat (top). There were a few nice surprises like the oldest altar in Nebraska (lower left), and a loft with a great view.

Our group:


Left to Right (top) Jen, Marcus, Joe, (middle) Eric, Brianne, Frank, (top) Teri, Ron, Patrick

I did mention that I did feel a bit inspired, and I will say that if you go to Sacred Heart and leave feeling the same... I would say that something is wrong with you. It isn't quite the same mass you may be used to, but I enjoyed it. The music was a bit up tempo, the parishioners were extra friendly, and Father Tom made it a complete experience.

The most surprising part of the mass was that our group was recognized during the mass. We received our first blessing. I found it a bit odd. I think sometimes I forget this isn't just some random dare that I'm taking on with friends, but also something that's being shared with others. I still wish I had a better idea though what exactly I'm trying to share with all of you, I guess for now I'm hoping that there's some takeaway you find.

The gospel for this week was the story of the fish and loaves. We've all heard it before. The point made during the homily that made me think was taking into account the balance of how much you get for how much you take. Jesus fed the multitude from a small amount. He didn't say, "Let's count everyone up and make sure I'm passing enough to you." He gave what he had without reservation, and it was more than enough for everyone there. I will admit that hearing this kind of hit me in the gut. I wasn't really giving much, and was getting even less before that moment, but hearing about the inspiring things that Jesus did made me realize that maybe I should put a little more effort into getting myself right. I put more energy in, and I felt like I got much more out of the rest of mass. Hopefully I can keep that up.

No comments:

Post a Comment