Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Blessed Sacrament - June 26, 2010 - Eric

What's Happening:
If you did not read the "What's Happening" section of my blog post from Saint Robert Bellarmine, the following may not make any sense to you whatsoever.

It's really tough when your friends are struggling with life. I don't know about you, but I just want to jump right in and try to help them fix things. In reality however, usually people have their own solutions, and they just need the support to get it done. What they need is to know they are loved and that someone will be there for them, encouraging them, helping them bring their concerns before God. There is no glory in praying with someone, no earthly glory, but sometimes God lets His glory shine through us.

Brianne has been going through struggles lately. When you're struggling with larger issues, it's unfortunate how little things can get magnified out of proportion. Two weeks ago, when we went to Saint Robert's, Joe and Frank somehow got their wires crossed, and ended up at Saint Columbkille in Papillion. Fortunately, they were able to get to the right place and were only a few minutes late. This week, Brianne knew we were supposed to be at Blessed Sacrament, but when she got to church on Saturday evening, she too found herself at Saint Columbkille in Papillion. (obviously, I'm next) When she finally got to Blessed Sacrament she was crying. I tried my best to comfort her, but it wasn't going to work.

Enter God and His appointed instrument of His peace: Joe. Shortly after Brianne arrived, it was time for the collection, Joe pulled his wallet out, and on to the floor between us, plopped one thin dime. I reached down to pick it up, tears already welling up in my eyes, and I turned and dropped it into Brianne's palm. I don't think it made Brianne cry any less, but I do think it helped her to know that every tear she has will be dried by a loving God and Redeemer.

100_3689.JPG - Me
Me, Brianne, Ron, Frank, Joe, Lindsay, and Frank.

Location and Architecture
Blessed Sacrament, 3020 Curtis Avenue, Omaha. I like the comfortable feel of churches like Blessed Sacrament. I love the quiet and warmth (too warm for most) of a church with the sun shining through the stained glass. Blessed Sacrament is such a church; with the wood panels, accessible altar, and large stained glass windows. While not 'large', it obviously will sit hundreds easily. I played a bit with the camera this week, so I didn't end up with as many shots as I normally would, but I have the two 'panorama' shots, I hope you enjoy them.

100_3684.JPG - Me 100_3685.JPG - Me
100_3682.JPG - Me
100_3688.JPG - Me
You can see all my pictures from Blessed Sacrament here.

Gospel:
But he answered him, "Let the dead bury their dead. But you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God." Luke 9:60

So ... this is one of those readings that makes me squirm in my pew (full reading Luke 9:51-62). Having a relationship with God is the most radical departure from the world you can imagine. No other relationship, not professional, not friendship, not family, nor any kind of other worldly distraction is supposed to come between us and proclaiming the kingdom of God.

Listening to what Jesus says can be discouraging in light of how easily distracted I am. I am forever turning aside from the path to examine something interesting, new, or shiny ... hence my squirminess. I certainly know that I fail at this type of relationship all the time. I wonder who wouldn't want to say goodbye to loved ones before they embarked on any kind of journey? The starkness of the choice between God and the world can make me feel like I will always fall short of the demands Jesus places on us.

However, hope is almost immediately restored. Jesus goes on in the last verse of this reading to say "“No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the kingdom of God.” At first glance this might not seem like much of an improvement, but for me, the act of setting my hand to the plow is the overriding choice that I am making ... not the one where I am looking aside or back. I have journeyed thus far with Jesus, and not only am I not turning back, there is nothing to turn back for. Any looking back is transitory in nature, and quickly replaced with a resolute look to the future.

Lord, help me to keep my eye, and actions, fixed on my future ... You.

Prayers:
Please pray for:
Tom who is being deployed to Afghanistan, and his wife and two daughters.
Kevin as he prepares for the priesthood.
My friend B., who is struggling with herself lately.
My friend R., who does not know how to change her life.
Heidi who is on a mission trip to Haiti.

July 11th: Saint Columbkille (really)

Enjoy Independence Day safely.

Peace, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment