Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sacred Heart - June 6, 2010 - Eric

What's Happening:
My visiting Sacred Heart isn't just another stop on this journey for me, it's a reunion. In 1996 after my divorce I met a group of wonderful people who helped me get through the divorce, deal with other issues, and get back into church. One of those people is my physician, Dr. Lorrie, the others attend Sacred Heart, Barb, Karen, and Mark.

I met Barb and Karen more or less together and for a while, the three of us were fairly inseparable. I watched Barb and Karen's children go from teens to adults, spent hours at one or other of their houses, and on occasion (mostly my fault I'm sure) we argued like brothers and sisters. I always knew one thing though, Karen and Barb knew what it was to love, and they taught me how to stick with the love, regardless of anything else. Mark and Barb are brother and sister, and I met him a couple years later. Mark taught me something interesting, he taught me to expect redemption. I've not seen him be anything but patient, honest, and open, I hope I that when I grow up I can be just like him.

As time went on, I moved to Papillion, then Bellevue, Karen married Mark, then Barb also married, and I drifted away. Make no mistake though, these were the most important people in my life for a long time ... I had been talking to Karen ahead of time to make sure that she knew we were coming, and in fact she helped me pick out the date ... she used the magic words ... ice cream social. As 'coincidences' work, naturally I ran into them (with Barb's husband Russ) at the Santa Lucia Festival on Saturday night, so we had a chance to talk about our visit. She suggested that they would have us mentioned in the announcements.

Sunday morning Brianne and I arrived early and were walking around the church before Mass. We ran into Karen, Mark, and Father Tom. Karen explained, with our help, to Father Tom what we were doing, and he said "I'd like to make your visit to Sacred Heart an unforgettable one." Father Tom was a man of his word, and at the beginning of the Homily, he had us stand up, recognized what we were doing, and gave us a blessing for our endeavor. It was quite moving, and with some of the people blessing us being such dear friends, it made it all the more special.

On behalf of the other Mass Chaos-ers, many thanks to the parishioners of Sacred Heart for your welcome and blessing and music.

100_2919.JPG - Me
Me, Teri, Jen, Brianne, Ron, Marcus, Frank, Joe, Patrick. Many thanks to J.D. for the camera work.

Location and Architecture
Sacred Heart, 2207 Wirt Street (22nd & Binney), Omaha. This week Sacred Heart Parish celebrated their 120th year as a parish. In conjunction with the anniversary, they renovated the church, and it is beautiful. You can contrast the picture on the left from historicomaha.com (with a somewhat modern car), with the one I took on the right.

nrsacred.jpg - historicomaha.com 100_2895.JPG - Me

If that isn't breathtaking enough, the changes on the inside were just as amazing. The stained glass, the murals on the ceilings, the details, the new floor, it's all amazing. Having seen and known the church before the refurbishment, it was such a joy to see the center of that community be bright and shining. It's worth a visit, and check out the chapel, it has the oldest altar in Nebraska.

100_2915.JPG - Me 100_2923.JPG - Me 100_2902.JPG - Me
100_2907.JPG - Me 100_2896.JPG - Me
You can see all my pictures from Sacred Heart here.

Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ / Gospel:
He said to them, "Give them some food yourselves..." Luke 9:13

The apostles come to Jesus with a problem, "Lord, we need to feed all these people." I must admit, this is one of my favorite parts of the Gospels. Jesus challenges the apostles, and us, to figure out how to do it on our own. Jesus asks "Really? How hard is it to feed everyone, or share what we have?"

I have read where some Biblical scholars have said that there is no 'miracle' here, that instead Jesus knew that if everyone saw Him sharing the food He had, they would pull out the food they had and share it too. Even if this was entirely the case, it does not diminish the miracle of the feeding of multitudes.

Jesus, with the Father behind Him, is not just super smart enough to just feed five thousand people with a simple psychological experiment. He fed them, He taught them to share, and through the ages, hundred of millions if not billions of people have had this story to be one of their favorites, and it's made them think: "What do I have that I can share with others?" This isn't charity, it's sharing with the group of fifty you're sitting with, and it makes everyone's life better.

Then, if that wasn't enough, Jesus blesses the food, involving the Father, and making certain that even if the mundane explanation failed, that the Father would provide for anything that was lacking after everyone shared what they had. When we share what we have, we add things together, everything we give in God's name multiplies. It multiplies, multiplies, and then does so again.

Thank you Lord for the lesson in sharing what you have given us.

Prayers:
Please pray for:
Tom who is being deployed to Afghanistan, and his wife and two daughters.
Kevin as he prepares for the priesthood.
My friend B., who is struggling with herself lately.
Heidi as she prepares for a mission trip to Haiti in July.
Me, I'm pretty burned out on the job lately.

Peace, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment