Sunday, May 2, 2010

Assumption

Part of me wishes that I'd spent more time thinking about what I'm going to write ahead of time, but I suppose it is better if I just let the stream of consciousness go where it will. As advertised, it was a pretty stressful week at work. It was stress-filled enough that I decided I needed to insert something to look forward to after work ends, so I am going to Lindy on the Rocks in August. I figured it would be good so I can try to focus on getting my ankle back in shape before then. Sunday is definitely helping as well. Lately, it is probably the day of the week I look forward most to. Having friends and fellowship wrapped together in God's house is helping me repair some of the doubts that have plagued my faith in recent years.

Week four of the tour finds our intrepid crew at Assumption (5434 S 22nd St).
Here are my pictures from this week. Their choice of lighting really adds some special flare to what otherwise might look plain.

Yep, we managed to pick another church that was serving food after. It was even better than the last Czech meal we shared. Though, I think I may be dumpling'ed out now.

This was the best week yet for Mass Chaos. There were two main reasons I joined this project. The first I mentioned earlier in this post: to see if I could repair the doubt I feel. The second was to see if I could find a new home parish. This week felt like a jump in right direction for both.

I enjoyed Father Keiter's approach to tackling the question of how we show each other love: What can we do to help each other get to Heaven?
It's not quite my view on that chapter of John, but it was a challenge and a unique way of looking at love. And isn't that what we all want out of scripture? For it to come alive and be relevant to us? As of now, it looks like it may be the the leading candidate for home church. It also doesn't hurt that it will be close to where I'm moving next, but I just take that as a good sign. :)

Speaking of the Gospel, this week's was John 13:31-33a, 34-35. It includes to what I consider to be the biggest pillar that holds my faith.
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:34-35
If Jesus ever lays down something super heavy, it is this. A new commandment isn't to be taken lightly, especially one that will set us apart as His. It changes your perspective when you try to live your life with this in mind. Jesus loved us unconditionally, even dying for our sins. For me, I feel that makes love a gift that we must give to each other in that same way. And it's not a half bad way to live your life either. I've always had less regrets when I've loved at my my fuller potential. And maybe that's been my problem lately. I find myself afraid to love these days. But when I fight to hold it in, it doesn't feel right at all. So this week was a good reminder to not do it.

<3 Frank



No comments:

Post a Comment