Friday, May 14, 2010

Saint Vincent de Paul

Well, this blog marks the first Holy Day of Obligation we're encountering since the start of Mass Chaos. And it marks the first Thursday I can remember celebrating Ascension (used to doing it on the following Sunday). It was a bit complicated for me, as I am the only one who works nights. So, while the others were at work, I went to mass, and vice versa. I have to admit it wasn't quite the same without the usual crowd in tow, but I was fortunate enough to find company to tag along. Mandi joined along, mostly as my camera consultant, since after the blurry results of the past few weeks I decided to use a better camera and see if it worked out any better. Let me know what you think.

Today's visit was to Saint Vincent de Paul (14330 Eagle Run Dr.)
The layout inside is definitely the most unique of all the churches we've been so far.
I really enjoyed the open feeling of the church.As you can tell, even with the fancier camera, I still need a bit more work. Perhaps taking a photography class should be in my future, since I seem so obsessed with this. Thanks for all the help though, Mandi!
And here is the obligatory shot of me. We attended the noon mass, and it cleared out fairly quickly, which is why we ended up taking separate shots.

The Gospel is Luke (24:46-53), and speaks of Jesus ascending to heaven. Yeah, I know, with a mass called ascension you saw it coming. Still, I have to be impressed with how He left.
As he blessed them he parted from them
and was taken up to heaven.

They did him homage

and then returned to Jerusalem with great joy,

and they were continually in the temple praising God.
They returned with GREAT joy. What? Jesus just left and they're full of joy? When people normally leave we're sad. Only Jesus can find a way to leave us and give joy rather than feel sadness that He isn't going to be with us. He came and died for the forgiveness of sins and before He leaves reminds us we have an opportunity to join Him with the Father.

As always, Jesus seems to be the one trailblazing the way to the Father. Only one word fits: Awesome.

-Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment