Thursday, May 6, 2010

Assumption - Week 4 - Brianne

Week four of Mass Chaos, hands down, has been the best week so far. The energy I feel from this week makes me optimistic that we can, in fact, accomplish what we've set out to do. I realized this week that we've had someone new come with us each and every week thus far - what a great feeling, to be sharing my faith with someone new every Sunday! That has been the biggest change in my throughout the beginnings of this process - I feel like my relationships with the people who've participated have changed. There is a depth to them, and an easy feeling of beeing 100% comfortable in their presence. I really do hope that I can continue to build amazing friendships through this process with the grace of God.

This week took us to Assumption Parish (again, because of a good eating event) for mass and their Czech dinner. The church was lovely, the congregation friendly, and the homily thought-provoking. As I said, I feel like the quality of my friendships have been improved through even just the four week's we've been on this journey, and Fr. Jim Keiter's homily fit too well with this theme. He spoke about the nature of our relationships - with family and friends - and our purpose of helping one another get to heaven. He invited us to evaluate everything we think, say, and do under the question of "will this help ____ get to heaven?" What an interesting spin on the commandment of "Love one another as I have loved you." As he spoke, I looked at my friends - Frank, Eric, Joe, Ben - and thought "I'm doing something right!" What an increddible journey we're all on together. I am hoping to continue to evaluate my relationships with the mantra of "will this help ___ get to heaven?" in hopes that all of my relationships will be strengthened, and I will appreciate them more.

After mass, we were joined at the Czech dinner by Christmas and Todd (my favorite "foodie" friends) to eat some of the most amazing duck and pork I've had in a long time. I think we may have overstayed our welcome - playing pickles, eating kolachi, picking the duck down to the bones - but it was a great, leisurely way to spend the early afternoon.

I hope this week - my favorite so far - is a foreshadowing of the great things yet to come!

PS - Another great highlight - Eric leaning over at the end of mass and saying "I love the maids" (in reference to the traditional Czech attire worn by two women at mass). LOL.





2 comments:

  1. Dear Brianne, Eric, Frank:
    A friend of mine passed on this link to me because she knew I would find it interesting. She knew I would find it interesting because five years ago, a good friend of mine and I finished our "Tour of the Catholic Churches of Omaha" with Mass at Immaculate Conception at Boys Town. It took us about 2 1/2 years to complete the tour because we couldn't always attend a new Mass each weekend; but, nonetheless, we endeavored on much the same journey you have, and probably for many of the same reasons. We were sophomores at Creighton, both beginning our studies in theology, when one night in our dorm we thought it would be intriguing to go to all of the Catholic Churches in Omaha. So we did! I still have all of the bulletins in a binder!
    Good luck to each of you. And God bless as you share your journey with others (we did nothing of the sort, really).
    Peace,
    Coco Osborne
    Boston, MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys,
    I was directed here from the same link mentioned above (how funny that Coco already commented!)...I was one of those "someone new" who came with these guys on their tour, and in doing so met one of my closest friends, and got to see a couple of churches I never would have otherwise. So keep inviting people, and keep on traveling! God bless,

    Laura
    Denver, CO

    ReplyDelete