Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Saint Anthony - March 27, 2011 - Eric

What's Happening:
Traditionally, I have a difficult time staying upbeat during late March. This year is no different. I find it difficult to stay focused, and I try to talk myself out of doing things that I should, like going to church. I intentionally did not set my alarm for Sunday morning, thinking that I would just sleep through church and it would be fine ... no such luck, I woke up at 8:10 and made it to church on time.

Everyone struggles, I am certainly no exception. When I struggle, I tend to want to sleep, and housekeeping goes first. I have jokingly said that I could judge whether I was depressed or not by the number of dishes in my sink. Fortunately, over time we can develop coping methods to deal with depression.

I like to embrace it, and sit around and do nothing until I am sick of doing nothing. Once I am sick of doing nothing, I get up, clean, talk with friends, and the activity gets me out of the dumps. I have another thing I do too. I ask my friends to pray for me. I said I ask my friends to pray for me.

This is a great activity, one; you have to acknowledge to yourself that you are having a problem. Two; your friends want to be involved in your life, this helps them to be involved. Three; prayer works. Four; prayer really really really works.

Even when you can't find it in yourself to pray, you can find someone else to pray for you, ask, and you shall receive.

102_1181
Frank, Luke, Patrick, Marilou, Beth, Morgan, me, Teri, Jen, Brianne, and Ron.
I think Marilou is planning a Mass Chaos takeover!

Location and Architecture:
Saint Anthony, 5402 South 32nd Street, Omaha. You can look at my pictures, but they don't really capture the richness of the blue and red that surround the altar. Colors can be an amazing draw, especially given that many Catholic churches use natural materials or muted colors behind the altar. I doubt that the ceiling of the church of the church is original, the HVAC system blows through the vents in the ceiling, it's a very creative use of space. Saint Anthony's Mass was mostly in English, but the second reading, some of the songs, and the Mass parts we're in Lithuanian. Many thanks to the gentleman who spent a half hour talking to us about the parish after Mass.

102_1175

102_1173

102_1184

102_1177

102_1178

If you'd like to see the rest of my pictures from Saint Anthony's, you can click here.

Gospel
"The Samaritan woman said to him, "How can you, a Jew, ask me, a Samaritan woman, for a drink?" (For Jews use nothing in common with Samaritans.)" John 4:9

Everyone has a group of people that they find particularly challenging to deal with. Maybe for some of us our challenge dips into dislike, or even hate. Even if we won't say it out loud, we think "those people aren't going to heaven". I certainly have my moments and people that I find it difficult to believe in their grace and salvation. Perhaps there are some out there with whom you wouldn't share a car ride with, or apartment building, or a water fountain.

Can you imagine? Jesus returns tomorrow, but instead of coming to you, He goes to speak with people who you cannot stomach. How would you react? The woman Jesus talks to at the well is so use to the disdain that she gets from the Jewish people that she cannot believe He would ask her for a drink.

For us Christians, carrying hatred for anyone, or any group of people, can only come back to bite us. Once you devalue the life of another human being with hatred, you set yourself up for disappointment when you come before Jesus. My friends, there are times in all of our lives when we feel the emotions of hate, but don't make it a destination, remember God loves every one of His children, and Jesus came for all, not just the people we think He came for, the Gospel shows the example.

Lord, help me love all your children as you have loved me.

Prayers
Please pray for:
The people of Japan.
The people of the countries in Southwest Asia and Africa in this time of revolution.
Tom who is deployed to Afghanistan, and his wife and two daughters.
Amy and Shannon for protection on their missions.
Kevin as he prepares for his final year of seminary and the priesthood.
Marcus as he has been accepted into seminary and will be discerning the priesthood.
My friend M., who is pregnant, please pray for her and her baby.

Next:
April 3rd @ 11:00 Saint Bernadette, 7600 South 42nd Street, Bellevue.

Peace, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment