Monday, April 4, 2011

Saint Bernadette - April 3, 2011 - Eric

What's Happening:
One of the things that has grown for me on this journey is the respect that I have for the clergy. I am more and more amazed every week. This week after the busyness of Mass and the pancake feed, I got a chance to visit with Father Al Salanitro for five minutes or so in the quiet of the church. He was open, caring, and quite honest to someone who he did not know. I find it difficult to talk to people I know well, let alone complete strangers.

Preceding this on Thursday was Father Hoesing lecture on eternity at Theology on Tap. Father Hoesing was funny, smart, and again, open and honest about himself. If he had notecards, it wasn't apparent, the same thing with Archbishop Lucas the week before. I keep wondering how they can come up with so many intelligent things to say. I think one of the things that keeps me from talking openly, is that I say so many dumb things.

The people who lead the church are human, a fact that was very lost on me twenty years ago, and may have been suspect five years ago. Now I understand that they are human, prone to mistakes and temptations, and they mean to do the very best that they can. Sound familiar? It's just like we are, only their job is to be Christ's representative in our lives.

Support your Priests, Sisters, Brothers, and Deacons. Pray for them, they have a hard job. Thank the Lord for the gift that they bring us.

102_1236
Frank, Joe, Ron, Beth, me, and Teri. We're all thankful for the beautiful weather.

Location and Architecture:
Saint Bernadette, 7600 South 42nd Street, Bellevue. My only previous visit to Saint Bernadette was little over a year ago for a Reconciliation Mass, it was dark and the church was not well lit at the time. I am happy to say it looks much nicer in the spring sunlight. The natural wood and the rich purple of the lenten decorations are really easy on the eyes and relax the mind to hear the Gospel.

102_1242

102_1234

102_1244

102_1240

102_1247

If you'd like to see the rest of my pictures from Saint Bernadette's, you can click here.

Gospel
"...Jesus answered, "Neither he nor his parents sinned; it is so that the works of God might be made visible through him." John 9:3

Jesus says this about the blind man, but really this can be said about every single one of us. God created all of us "so that the works of God might be made visible through" us. I believe no other argument needs to made to for a reason to treat every other human being equally.

Everyone brings something to humanity that God gave them to bring. Don't ignore that, don't trivialize it, don't even think that you know where it is that someone else fits it. Treat each other (and yourself) with dignity, respect, and a sense of wonder.

It a blessing to understand those moments when God is using someone else to teach you to love. The more that you realize people have so much to show you, the more that you receive this blessing.

Lord, show me the way to love each of my sisters and brothers.

Prayers
Please pray for:
The people of Japan.
The people of the countries in Southwest Asia and Africa in this time of revolution.
Tom who is deployed to Afghanistan, and his wife and two daughters.
Amy and Shannon for protection on their missions.
Kevin as he prepares for his final year of seminary and the priesthood.
Marcus as he has been accepted into seminary and will be discerning the priesthood.
My friend M., who is pregnant, please pray for her and her baby.

Next:
April 10th @ 10:00 Saint Patrick's, 1404 Castelar Street, Omaha.

Peace, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment