Thursday, March 17, 2011

Mother of Perpetual Help - March 13, 2011 - Eric

What's Happening:
I know some truly miserable people. By miserable, I mean they are miserably unhappy, and they want you to be miserable too. I'm sure you know people like that too. Sometimes, I am fortunate enough to meet these people in a social environment where I can encourage them that they don't have to be that way.

There are times, however, you meet these people in an environment where you can do nothing about it. School, work, volunteer organization, or something akin, the point being, you can't say anything, you can't get away, and for lack of a better term you can't help. How do you maintain your love for people who want to destroy your peace?

My heart is torn for miserable people, so much of God's creation to enjoy, and yet they choose to or believe they are acting as they have to act. I wonder if they are missing God's love, if they are in a horrible living situation, or are they mentally ill? I know that I can pray. Since we have a God like ours, we are never truly helpless, because so long as we can think, we can pray, and if we can pray, we can help.

102_1066
Maureen, Julia, Brianne, Frank, Teri, Beth, Morgan, Me, Marilou, and Joe.
Remember when Brianne used to complain about there being too many guys?

Location and Architecture:
Mother of Perpetual Help is probably the smallest parish that we will visit, and in being so it has it's own charms. I think it's even smaller than the Chapel at The Holy Family Shrine. The church itself is about as big as a house, the top floor is the church, and the basement has a social area with couches and a kitchen, making it seem even more homey and comfortable.

102_1069

102_1076

102_1078

102_1067

102_1072

If you'd like to see the rest of my pictures from Mother of Perpetual Help you can click here.

Gospel
"He said in reply, "It is written: 'One does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.'" Matthew 4:4

You don't live because you eat bread, or drink water. For the matter you don't live on Burger King, filet mignon, or your momma's home cooking either. You live because it is the will of God that you exist. Without God, you can't eat, you can't drink, you can't even breathe. I may have free will, but my ability to choose doesn't mean that God can't overrule me at any time. God can make it so that I never existed.

Even though I have the fear of God, I don't have to fear. God made it so I will have everything I need, i.e. sufficient grace to get me through to the gates of heaven. God will give you enough grace to get to heaven too ... grace enough even to deal with miserable people too.

Prayers
Please pray for:
The people of Japan.
Tom who is deployed to Afghanistan, and his wife and two daughters.
Amy and Shannon for protection on their missions.
Kevin as he prepares for his final year of seminary and the priesthood.
Marcus as he has been accepted into seminary and will be discerning the priesthood.
My friend M., who is pregnant, please pray for her and her baby.

Next:
March 20th @ 10:00 Saint John the Evangelist, 307 East Meigs Street, Valley.

Peace, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment