Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Immaculate Conception - December 5, 2010 - Eric

What's Happening:
I think it's funny when I get my comeuppance. We went to the Latin Mass at Immaculate Conception this week. I got lost in the middle of the Mass, I got confused following in the Latin Mass documentation, I didn't understand what was happening. So I turned to Kat, and I said I was too confused to enjoy it, I wouldn't be back. I was further frustrated because being the age that I am, the Latin Mass is right at the edge of my memory, so it was something that I could almost grasp, but not quite.

After Mass, Teri commented how much she enjoyed it, and since I respect her, I started to think maybe I was just being uptight. On the first Sunday of every month they introduce the Latin Mass and explain what is going on. So we went downstairs after Mass, the first thing Father Brancich said was "We get two kinds of reactions, people either love it or hate it, and we recommend that you come at least five times prior to forming an opinion." Message received. I'll shut my mouth now.

As Father explained the Mass, he said to not even use the books the first couple of times. His knowledge of the Mass and it's history really helped to bring it in perspective. As a person who values the connection Mass provides with every other Catholic in the world, not just present, but past and future also, I should have appreciated how this version of the Mass connected me to the way people worshiped God for so many centuries.

In the midst of my frustration, I focused on myself, rather than on what was going on around me. Ironically, Father Gordon spoke to this in his Homily when he quoted "He must increase, but I must decrease." I should listen. In retrospect, the Latin Mass itself was beautiful, I'll be going back to connect myself with billions of Catholics who have, are, and will experience the same celebration in Latin.

Lord, regardless of my emotions, please bless me that my focus is on you, rather than on myself.

100_9639
Joe, Kat, Teri, me, Ron, Vesper, Ben, and Tom. We must have enjoyed this experience, we're all smiling big.

Location and Architecture:
Immaculate Conception, 2708 South 24th Street, Omaha. Immaculate Conception is a parish of the Omaha Archdiocese that is dedicated to the Latin Mass. The church itself was originally a Polish parish, and the names of the saints on the stained glass windows are still in Polish. This church has one feature that I don't believe we've seen before in any other parish, the altar is against the back wall, so the priest faces away from the congregation, which is traditional. I'd like to give a special thank you to the parishioners who sat with us as Father Brancich explained the Latin Mass.

100_9636

100_9633

100_9631

100_9642

100_9635

You can see all of my pictures of our visit to Immaculate Conception here.

Gospel:
"...and do not presume to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' For I tell you, God can raise up children to Abraham from these stones." Matthew 3:9

Yeah! God will turn these stones in children of Abraham! That's right! ... um, what??!? Hold on, He's going to do what?

What the heck is John talking about? How can anyone turn stones into children of Abraham? It just doesn't make any sense at all. Abraham is dead, and in heaven. Stones are, well, dead also. Even if we neatly skipping over the problem of getting DNA from Abraham, who is contributing the other half of the DNA? How does a rock obtain a soul? Since the people John is talking to are descendants of Abraham, are the newly formed rock people related to the people present? How does that work? I bet there are a half dozen questions I'm thinking of off the top of my head. This would violate so many physical, metaphysical, and biological laws I'm not sure they could be enumerated. How is God going to pull this one off?

The rules that apply to we humans, matter, space, and time do not in the least bit apply to God, the Creator of everything. God can simply do it because God is God, and He does not need to conform to your idea of what is possible or not, nor anyone else. One of the most difficult things for me to comprehend is why the almighty cares about me in such a personal, devoted way. My brain 'understands' it is because He loves me, but it's still difficult to digest.

Not only does He love me, but He came to our existence as human being, a baby, completely helpless, born of a woman. Small fragile, in need of everything. This is the Lord of the Universe, laying in barn, being waited on by humans and animals, and being announced by angels. In less than three weeks, we celebrate His birthday, and our salvation, and that, compared to turning stones into descendants of Abraham, is a real miracle.

Prayers:
Please pray for:
Tom who is being deployed to Afghanistan, and his wife and two daughters.
Amy and Shannon for protection on their missions.
Kevin as he prepares for his final year of seminary and the priesthood.
Marcus as he has been accepted into seminary and will be discerning the priesthood.
My friend M., who is pregnant, please pray for her and her baby.
My mother Judy to have her back healed.

Next:
Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception: Wednesday, December 9th @ 7:00pm at Saint Gerald's 9602 Q Street, Omaha.

Peace, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment