Monday, December 27, 2010

Saint James - Christmas 2010 - Eric

What's Happening:
Two weeks in a row we've had homilies about the same subject: time. Last week at Saint Frances Cabrini, Father Clifton gave a technical discussion about time, and how God exists apart from it. This week Father Reiser talked about time also. So I thought maybe it's time to talk about time.

Time is a funny thing, you don't have enough of it, you can't get more of it, and you can't really change the flow of it. Or can you? You can certainly do two things; you can give yourself the best opportunity to enjoy the time you have, and you can work to remove the anxiety that goes with worrying about the past and the future and enjoy what it is you have right in front of you.

Giving yourself the best opportunity to enjoy the time you have can be boiled down to one word; quality. I'm a point in my life now where getting myself into quality time involves getting enough sleep, staying active, dedicated prayer time, and eating right. I also try to keep the drama in my life to a minimum and (try to) keep my own focus off of me. All this works together to lower my momentary stress level, and helps to keep me positive and in the moment.

Living in the moment also reduces stress, because it helps you to eliminate worry. This moment is a divorce from the past, and freedom from the future. When you take one moment at a time, you don't have to relive the mistakes of the past nor be burdened by the future. In the entire existence of the universe, the most important time is now.

103_0021
Ben, Kat, Frank, Lindsay, me, and Brianne. I know you've heard this before, but this is the serious picture.

Location and Architecture:
Saint James, 9025 Larimore Avenue, Omaha. I drove by Saint James for years going up and down 90th Street in Northwest Omaha, and I didn't notice it much from the street. However, once you get in the parking lot, it becomes more impressive, and once inside the real beauty of the building can be seen. Once inside the high ceiling and wide expanse of the church provides the feeling of being outside. The church was beautifully decorated in celebration of Christmas.

103_0006

103_0010

103_0032

103_0030

103_0024

You can see all of my pictures of our visit to Saint James here.

Gospel:
"And suddenly there was a multitude of the heavenly host with the angel, praising God and saying "Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rest" Luke 2:13-14

I am fairly certain more has been written on the subjects of the birth and death of Jesus, than any other subject in the history of mankind. I am also fairly certain I cannot add any insight that has not been added already ... but, this is okay. There is a reason it is one of the most written about events. The birth of Jesus changed the world.

The birth of a child is never an ordinary thing. Jesus however was exceptionally exceptional for so many reasons, and if you somehow missed all the other signs, here comes a multitude of angels to announce the birth ... and we praise you for it.

Prayers:
Please pray for:
Tom who is being deployed to Afghanistan, and his wife and two daughters.
Amy and Shannon for protection on their missions.
Kevin as he prepares for his final year of seminary and the priesthood.
Marcus as he has been accepted into seminary and will be discerning the priesthood.
My friend M., who is pregnant, please pray for her and her baby.
My mother Judy to have her back healed.

Next:
January 2nd @ 1100 Holy Cross Parish, 4803 William Street, Omaha.

Peace, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment