Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Saint Frances Cabrini - December 19, 2010 - Eric

What's Happening:
I think there might be something wrong with me. I just don't care for gifts. I am certain that I liked them as a small child, but probably since I was ten it hasn't been my favorite thing. As far as items go, I admit I have a few items that hold sentimental value, but with the possible exception of a chair that came from my grandmother's estate, I have nothing that holds real worldly value.

I'm not going to get up on any high horses about how this season is overly commercialized nowadays. Why? Because I've heard those words my entire life. I imagine that my great grandparents heard the same thing, and their great grandparents before them. My point is that this time of year can be kind of awkward for me.

I don't want anything for Christmas, and I have a lot of reciprocal "no gifts" agreements with friends. Typical conversational questions like "Did you get all your shopping done?" or an after Christmas "What did you get?" kind of are lost on me. I just don't participate.

I do, however, like to anticipate. The coming of our Lord is amazing to me. Since Jesus has been here, done that, we certainly can't complain to God that He doesn't know. He does, He understands all of our temptations, but Jesus set the example for us on how to put our fellow human beings in front of our own concerns and temptations. Whenever you are weak, you can consider the coming of our Lord, and how He came into the world as a helpless child.

Thank you Lord.

102_9961
Frank, Lindsay, Me, Joe, Teri, Patrick, Frank, Brianne, Jen, and Vesper. Thank you to the parishioners who took our pictures and told us about the history of the parish.

Location and Architecture:
Saint Frances Cabrini, 1334 South 9th Street, Omaha. This parish probably goes against all of my usual style preferences, yet I loved it. The building is long and narrow with dark wood pews and ceilings. It was brightly lit despite not having large stained glass windows. Being an older church, it has statuary everywhere, which suits me just fine. I loved the artwork of the church. I also appreciated the passion of the choir.

102_9956

102_9957

102_9968

102_9973

102_9974

You can see all of my pictures of our visit to Saint Frances Cabrini here.

Gospel:
"When Joseph awoke, he did as the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took his wife into his home." Matthew 1:24

First Mary said yes to God. Now Joseph does. We see a glimpse of Joseph's character right away in today's reading, verse 19 "Joseph her husband, since he was a righteous man, yet unwilling to expose her to shame, decided to divorce her quietly."

I can imagine that Joseph feels injured when Mary is found to be pregnant. Yet, Joseph does not wish to see Mary harmed, regardless of the situation. Before he can end the relationship, he is visited by an angel and told the situation.

I marveled a few weeks ago about how Mary just says yes to God regardless of the worldly impact. Joseph also says yes. While it may be true Joseph doesn't have as much to lose as Mary did, he still agrees. I find it tough enough to get God's ten commandments close to right, yet Mary and Joseph say yes willingly. God certainly chose correctly in the earthly family He chose to raise his only Son, our savior.

Lord, help me to be more like the example of Joseph, let me say yes when you ask.

Prayers:
Please pray for:
Tom who is being deployed to Afghanistan, and his wife and two daughters.
Amy and Shannon for protection on their missions.
Kevin as he prepares for his final year of seminary and the priesthood.
Marcus as he has been accepted into seminary and will be discerning the priesthood.
My friend M., who is pregnant, please pray for her and her baby.
My mother Judy to have her back healed.

Next:
Midnight Mass: Friday, December 24, 2010 @ 11:40PM, Saint James Parish, 9025 Larimore Avenue, Omaha.

Peace, Eric

1 comment:

  1. I am glad there is someone else out there who doesn't get all hyped about "gifts" during Christmas.

    ReplyDelete