Thursday, December 9, 2010

Saint Gerald's - December 8, 2010 - Eric

What's Happening:
Wednesday we visited Saint Gerald's for the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception. The choir was fantastic, they sang "Mary Did You Know" and "Holy Is His Name" back to back at Communion, a combination that guarantees that I am going to cry. Brianne says that she has only ever heard "Holy Is His Name" twice, both with me, and I've cried both times.

I've been in choirs on and off my adult life, and I love it, but sometimes I am happy to sit with the rest of the congregation. The difference is that in being part of the choir, I am leading the rest of the parishioners, but I can't actually let myself get carried away emotionally. In the congregation, I can let myself get caught up in the moment, but it doesn't meet my desire to serve.

Fortunately, it's not a choice between two bad things, it's a choice between two good things. There are times to serve, and there are times to be served.

Lord, thank you for blessing us with music.

100_9698
Brianne, Frank, Me, Julia, and Teri. I know it looks like I got a new lens, but I didn't.

Location and Architecture:
Saint Gerald, 96th and Q Streets, Omaha. This church, has many of the architectural elements I like in modern churches. A fountain in the back, a sloping floor, good acoustics, and (for lack of a better term) a cool chapel. I think the statue of Mary is amazing. The tiny lambs scattered around the altar were a nice touch too.

100_9688

100_9692

100_9689

100_9700

100_9684

You can see all of my pictures of our visit to Saint Gerald's here.

Gospel:
"...Mary said, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word." Luke 1:38

This is going to be short. Mary blows my mind, she just simply says yes to God. Regardless of the possible implications to her earthly life, which were hefty given her cultural conditions, she just says yes. I pray for the grace to do the same.

Hail Mary, full of grace...

Prayers:
Please pray for:
Tom who is being deployed to Afghanistan, and his wife and two daughters.
Amy and Shannon for protection on their missions.
Kevin as he prepares for his final year of seminary and the priesthood.
Marcus as he has been accepted into seminary and will be discerning the priesthood.
My friend M., who is pregnant, please pray for her and her baby.
My mother Judy to have her back healed.

Next:
Sunday, December 12, 2010 @ 1030, Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish, 2310 O Street, Omaha.

Peace, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment