Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Saint Therese of the Child Jesus - February 20, 2011 - Eric

What's Happening:
Sunday was my first Mass in Spanish since high school. Then Spanish was a very mysterious language, and I would not have recognized any words. Now it is just maddening, I knew what the readings were, and I knew what the homily was about, but my brain won't work fast enough to translate it in real time. I don't speak or understand it word for word, but I get the gist of what is being said.

It makes me think of the Bible. I don't always understand what it is being said, it is written in the language of love. This is the language of God; love. I don't speak it very well, and many times I don't understand when it is spoken to me, but I get the gist of what is being said. The Bible, the story of God's love for us, is not written in our native tongue, but His. It tells the story of love, commitment, and forgiveness that we, as flawed humans, don't speak on our own, but we can learn the same way we learned English, Spanish, or any other language, by listening, by reading, and most importantly through imitation. We can learn to speak the language of love by imitating the actions of Christ and caring for those people right around us in the way that Jesus cared for us.

Lord, teach me how to speak with your love. Amen

102_0517
Me, Jenna, Joe, Terry, Frank, and Marilou. A big Mass Chaos welcome to Jenna!

Location and Architecture:
Saint Teresa of the Child Jesus is tucked away in a corner of Omaha that I have never been to before, and that is a not an easy statement to make, although I will be making it again next week. Saint Teresa of the Child Jesus is on the middle floor of a three story building. The statuary and decorations are colorful, and the old altar against the back wall has amazing detail. Although there is no stained glass windows, the worship area is surround by natural light, bringing everything to life.

102_0506

102_0509

102_0513

102_0507

102_0512

If you'd like to see the rest of my photos of Saint Therese of the Child Jesus, you can see them here.

Gospel:
"So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." Matthew 5:48

Ugh! This was really the sound I made when I started to think about something to write about this. 'Be perfect'. How can I be perfect when A) I'm not. B) I don't wanna be. C) I'm still not? Jesus must have known that this is beyond my ability to accomplish on my own, right?

Of course Jesus understood this. The main problem is B) I don't wanna be. As long as I keep working on B), God certainly can and will work on A) and C). Effort is a large part of the grade, so get cracking and try. If you know something is wrong, talk about it, or do anything different to get yourself out of your bad habits. You can be who you and God want you to be, desire and prayer will get you there.

Prayers:
Please pray for:
The people and countries of the Middle East that are in turmoil, that they can experience freedom, social justice, and peace.
Amy and Shannon for protection on their missions.
Kevin as he prepares for his final year of seminary and the priesthood.
Marcus as he has been accepted into seminary and will be discerning the priesthood.
My friend M., who is pregnant, please pray for her and her baby.

Next:
February 27th @ 12:00 (noon) Saint Francis of Assisi, 4521 South 32nd Street, Omaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment