Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Saint Stanislaus - August 15, 2010 - Eric

What's Happening:
Last week there was no Mass Chaos because most of us had originally had vacations scheduled. Mine was with a large group of friends going to Valentine, Nebraska and canoeing down the Niobrara River. The beauty of God's creation showed through amazingly. The waterfalls, the river, the trees, the bluffs, and the weather.

One thing amazed me more than any other though. The sky at night. There was no clouds, no moon, no light pollution, our campsite was at 2200 feet in a valley, and we had clear, dry air. The milky way was prominent across the sky, horizon to horizon. We moved away from the fire and sat out watching the stars and shooting stars. I couldn't get enough, so I woke up at 3:45 and walked around for a half an hour. The big dipper sat low in the northern sky, I tried to get a picture of it, but the results were questionable at best. I don't know when the next time I'll see all those stars like that and I cherished the moment.

Cherish is one of my favorite words to describe my feelings about God's creation. If this life is so full of God's beauty and majesty, what will the next one be like? I certainly want to know. If that means foregoing a few of the temptations of this life, what does it really mean in the long run? Not much, if anything at all. Heaven is like that game show where the prize keeps building up and up and you have to decide when to take the money and run before it all comes crashing down ... only with Heaven, there is no crashing down, the treasures that you store up there just keep multiplying and multiplying ... forever. Do the math on that.

Lord, I pray that you help me to cherish every thing, every moment, every creature, and every child of your creation.

100_5399.JPG
Frank, Lindsay, Frank, Brianne, Patrick, Me, Joe. Vesper was there, but couldn't stick around for the picture.

Location and Architecture:
Saint Stanislaus, 4002 J Street, Omaha. The statuary of the church was amazing, kind of two dimensional, kind of three dimensional, and painted boldly. The architects did a fine job of drawing attention away from the box shape of the church with traditional elements like the archways and pillars on the side. I also am a big fan of the very subtle slope of the floor from back to front. As always I wish I had more time to go and photograph the churches we visit.

100_5395.JPG
100_5390.JPG
100_5394.JPG 100_5393.JPG 100_5401.JPG
100_5388.JPG 100_5391.JPG

You can see all my pictures from Saint Stanislaus, including the Mass Chaoser's enjoying the Polish festival here.

Gospel:
"And Mary said: "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior. For he has looked upon his handmaid's lowliness; behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed. The Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name. His mercy is from age to age to those who fear him. He has shown might with his arm, dispersed the arrogant of mind and heart. He has thrown down the rulers from their thrones but lifted up the lowly. The hungry he has filled with good things; the rich he has sent away empty. He has helped Israel his servant, remembering his mercy, according to his promise to our fathers, to Abraham and to his descendants forever." Luke 1:46-55

There is a reason that God chose Mary to be the mother of Jesus. She sets the example for how to respond to God, trusting in Him completely, so instead of fearing for the future, she sings His praises. I've sat and thought long and hard what I could possibly add to what Mary has said above, and really, I got nothing.

Lord I pray that you find me as willing as Mary when you ask me to do something, and as happy to sing your praises regardless of what is asked.

Prayers:
Please pray for:
Tom who is being deployed to Afghanistan, and his wife and two daughters.
Amy for protection on her mission.
Shannon for protection on her mission.
Frank who is looking for meaningful employment.
Kevin as he prepares for his final year of seminary and the priesthood.
Marcus as he has been accepted into seminary and will be discerning the priesthood.
My friend M., who is pregnant, please pray for her and her baby.
Me for the courage to do what God is putting in front of me, and (go ahead and laugh if you want but still pray) that I am able to kick the soda habit.

Next:
August 22 @ 1000: Holy Family Parish in Omaha (1715 Izard Street)

Peace, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment