Sunday, August 29, 2010

Saint Leo the Great / Saints Peter and Paul

Well, prepare yourself for a double blog. This is not because I forgot to blog or anything like that, but because we were double booked for this weekend and went to mass Saturday and Sunday. I'm not having the best weekend personally, but it only showed me how nice it is to have fellowship. I am thankful for all my friends and even more thankful to God for putting these people in my life and shaping them in His image.

Saint Leo the Great (1920 N 102nd St)

I forgot to take an external shot again, well, not exactly forgot, but I didn't remember until after we were done playing kickball and I couldn't get a good one without better light. Instead I took this picture to highlight how open and bright the church felt inside.
A co-worker told me to look for this, and I wasn't disappointed. Super neat!
The Altar while it still was lit.
Our Group for the week:
Left to Right: Eric, Patrick, Jen, Frank and Joe

Saint Leo's Yacht Club (website). We joined the Yacht club (Youth Adult Coming Home Together) for their kick-off event last night. It's for group for the young adults to have the ability to "work, play and pray" together, and I enjoyed my first experience with the group. It was more of a play night, as we went outside to get some kickball in after eating dinner together. If you are interested in joining their next event, you can e-mail John for more information or check them out on facebook.

The group shot from the Saint Leo's Yacht Club event


Saints Peter and Paul (5912 S 36 St)
Thanks to Julia for reminding me to take this.

We were told that this Jesus came in 3 pieces from ...er somewhere in Europe.
Also Interesting was that there used to be a screen to hide the organ


Eric was very concerned about taking a picture using Ron's tripod. It resulted in one of my favorite group shots of the tour so far.

I enjoyed the light coming in from the top.

The group shot for the day:
Left to right: Kevin, Joe, Frank, Julia, Eric, Brianne, and Ron

This Week's Gospel:
It is a parable from Luke (14:1, 7-14), where Jesus tells us that as guests we should not over-think our importance as guests, and when we are hosts that we shouldn't look to what we gain for inviting people.

The best part about parables is that the ideas are wrapped up with stories. I always feel like hearing stories from people is one of the best ways to get an idea across. It allows you to step into the story and see how you would feel about the idea.

When I step into this parable, I always feel humbled. This is Jesus not only telling us to be humble, but IS Himself. If there was ever a person who could just pull out the holier than thou card, it'd be Him. The thing is, it makes sense. It is easy for us to think that we are the center of the universe, and we would deserve that top spot. But is that where you really are? I also agree that it does make you feel rather fantastic to find you are given that upgrade in seats.

In the second half of the parable, it discusses being a good host and giving that which you cannot be repaid for. I think this is a harder concept to employ. Not that it is difficult to think of ways which we can be in this situation, but it can be harder to give and not let ourselves be exalted.

So, we are challenged to be humble in multiple ways. I hope that I can be forgiven for the ways which I haven't been humble or humbled lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment