Thursday, August 26, 2010

Holy Family - Brianne

Now that I'm looking at Mass Chaos not only as a chance to do the "3 F's" (Fellowship, Faith, and Food), but as a "parish shopping" experiment, I'm starting to look at the churches a little differently. Going into Mass Chaos, I fully expected to be returning to St. James after Easter. I know that isn't the case given the changes in my life lately, so I think my perspective has shifted slightly. I'm looking at how I would fit into parish life at each church - whether there is a place for me to be involved.

Holy Family is the sort of church I could imagine making a permanent home once Mass Chaos is complete. Eric did a great job explaining our experience there, so I will not go into detail about the actual day, but rather, share why I feel this could be a great home for myself.
  1. The friendly congregation: At many of the other parishes I've enjoyed, the congregation has been very welcoming. This was an understatment. Not only were the members here welcoming and friendly - there were so many people who took the time to introduce themselves, ask questions about Mass Chaos and myself personally. I'm terrible with names, but for the gentleman who offered some words of wisdom surrounding my divorce and made me cry, THANK YOU.
  2. The feeling of community: It didn't matter we were having mass in a basement with people sitting on chairs, the kitchen countertop, the floor, piano benches - the actual church space was inconsequential. The sense of being a church community was overwhelming - how close the parishoners were to one another and to parish administrator Deacon Hueser (who gave a great and accidentally funny homily) blew me away!
  3. The service oriented church: We did have the opportunity to help make sandwiches (okay, actually we were the "cookie helpers") for the parish to distribute to the poor. Holy Family's mission is to service those who are less fortunate, and I think it is beautiful to see a church that doesn't have "much" in comparision to some of the larger Archdiocesan parishes give what they do have to serve the community around them. They are also an OTOC congregation, which is important to me.
  4. The music: I enjoyed the small group who sang/played guitar & violin - they did a very nice job, and I was welcomed to join singing with them if I return! Finding a parish where I can be involved in music ministry is also really, really important to me!
  5. The location: Though it is not convenient to most, Holy Family is actually a short jaunt down Cuming Street from where I'm living, and I appreciated that.

I'd like to thank the parishoners of Holy Family for making this such a great experience for me - and I will be back!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment