Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Week 2: St. Philip Neri

Party for Eight
So as I entered week two of "Mass Chaos" - I found myself completely and utterly distracted. I find that I frequently have a hard time shutting off my brain, especially when I'm sitting still. So my apologies to St. Philip Neri, as well as my companions at mass, for the way my eyes darted all over the place, the time I spent shifting in my seat, and the fact that I was just generally distracted. The adorable little boy in the pew in front of me can also take some of the blame, as I found I couldn't keep my eyes off the way he was smiling at us, stuffing raisins in his face, and carrying on a conversation with my Nonnie.

What an exciting week, however, for our party of 3 last week turned into a party of 8 this week! My parents are always welcome company, as well as my Nonnie. Eric, Joe and Frank were in attendance, too. But even more spectacular was the addition of Merinda! I'm so very glad I extended an invitation to her - as she has always been one to include me in her group of friends - and that she accepted. I hope our group continues to grow as the weeks progress - and that we have the opportunity to share our faith with other non-Catholics!

Joining us for the Notre Dame Sisters luncheon were Andy, my in-laws - Paul & Faye, and Andy's sister and brother-in-law, Amy & Barry. We had a great time, dancing polka, eating yummy food, and losing at the raffle. It was a great way to end the morning, and I look forward to other eating events we can tie in with our "Mass Chaos."

"Feed My Sheep"
In this week's gospel, from John chapter 21, Jesus asks Simon Peter to "feed my sheep." Whenever I hear this reading I can't help but think of one of my favorite songs sung during Easter Vigil which says, "You shall be my hands, you shall be my feet. You must feed my lambs, pasture my sheep. You are light to the world, form to the clay. And you must be dying with me - dying, and rising with me. You are my flesh and blood today."

I love feeling called to do as Jesus has done for us. What an amazing feeling - to be called to be the very flesh and blood of Christ to those around us. I once heard a homily from Fr. Roger at St. James in which he asked us to reflect on (instead of the 10 Commandments, or what "thou shall not" do) what we've done for those around us - how we've embodied Christ in our daily lives. This week I think I will focus on how I can respond to Jesus' call to "feed my sheep," and I invite you to do the same.

Brianne

No comments:

Post a Comment