Sunday, April 11, 2010

St. Bridget

Here comes my first post. And by my, I mean Frank. Hello! I can't really tell you what to expect from me, or that my thoughts will be as organized or insightful as the others. I will say that I did pull out my Bible to re-read the word before coming to write this. The result was a bit of coughing from resulting dust from my Bible. I used this opportunity to purchase yet another Bible for myself, this time on my kindle.
I still prefer my paper copies to this digital one, but I think it's the old Bible study leader in me wanting footnotes right in front of me to refer to while I read. Anyway, I seem to be rambling.

Today marked the beginning of a new journey for me and a few of my friends (and possibly some of you reading this). They decided they would try to visit all the churches in Omaha by Easter of next year. Luckily for me, they invited me along.

The first church on the stop was St. Brid
ge
t (4112 S. 26th St)As far as the church itself is concerned, I liked that parking was easy, the singing was excellent, and it was surprisingly beautiful on the inside (contrasting with it's rather plain outside).
The only thing that really bothered me during the mass was that there were times it was difficult to hear whoever was speaking because of the sound system not working right or competing sounds (screaming kids) drowned out whoever was talking. The pews did feel a bit close together as well, but I only really noticed it when I had to get in and out of them.

Today's Gospel (John 20:19-31) was one of those passages that just hits you in the face. BAM! Jesus is awesome. Why? It's just after Easter, and Jesus is back from the dead. Thomas is a disciple, but he doesn't believe. He wants to see that not only is it Jesus, but the one that suffered and died on the cross. Jesus shows up and puts aside any doubts Thomas has, and then Jesus sets us all up with the challenge:
"Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed." - John 20:29
How much does it take you to believe? And what does that belief gain you? I think it's a good reminder that God is willing to take that extra step to win you over, but you are blessed whichever path that leads you to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment