Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Christ the King - Good Friday 2011 - Eric

What's Happening:
Although Good Friday was the first 'official' Mass Chaos visit of the week, it was not the first trip to church I made during holy week.

On Tuesday Joe, Frank, and I met at a Reconciliation service at Saint Mary's of Omaha. It was my first confession since Tuesday of Holy Week last year ... I know, too long. In the past I have had my confessions much better planned, written out, and ready to go by the time I hit the confessional. This time I was not so prepared. It turned out to be a much more emotional experience than it has been in the past. Father was quite specific about me meditating about God's mercy for me, it's quite easy for me to consider His mercy for others, but more difficult for me.

On Thursday, myself, Brianne, Frank, Joe, Beth, Maggie, and Teri went to Holy Thursday Mass at Saint Margaret Mary. This was where and when the idea for Mass began, so we had to go there. Considering the interior of every church we have seen, I think Saint Margaret Mary may be my favorite. It captures the majesty of God in a very comfortable manner. After church we went to a local establishment where Marilou joined us.

I took Friday off of work. I arrived at Christ the King early to get a picture of the outside of the church in the 'golden hour', and then inside to enjoy the stained glass in the late sun. The Passion of the Lord was sung, rather than spoken as I am used to. It was an enjoyable experience.

102_1362
Frank, Frank, Joe, me, and Maggie. Maggie chose an interesting time of year to find out about the Catholic faith.

Location and Architecture:
Christ the King, 654 South 86th Street, Omaha. The building is quite unique, and the acoustics were wonderful. You can read about the church design on this page. The character of the church itself changed as the building went from colorful when the sun was streaming through the stained glass, to earthy as the light faded. Both looks worked.

102_1349
102_1358

102_1337

102_1361

102_1357

102_1348

If you'd like to see the rest of my pictures from Christ the King, you can click here.

Gospel
"Pilate also had an inscription written and put on the cross. It read, "Jesus the Nazorean, the King of the Jews." John 19:19

Did Pilate know? Or was he just thumbing his nose at the Jewish leaders knowing of their feelings? The Gospel of John says Pilate was afraid, and surely he was caught in a bad spot. He had the Jewish leaders wanting Jesus dead, but not by their own hands. Pilate was in charge, he was supposed to keep the peace. Regardless of whether Pilate believed that Jesus was the King or not, he had the power to change events, he says so himself, but he did not.

We have opportunities in our lives to do the right thing, but we face pressure to do nothing. What excuses us from doing the right thing? The esteem of our friends? Holding on to our jobs? Money? Power? Greater good? The answer is nothing. Doing what is right is occasionally very difficult, unpopular, and may cost you ... dearly. But it is the right thing, and when you know what is right, you are called to do what is right.

Lord, grant me the grace to consider, and do, what you would have me do when I am faced with difficult decisions.

Prayers
Please pray for:
The people of Japan.
The people of the countries in Southwest Asia and Africa in this time of revolution.
Tom who is deployed to Afghanistan, and his wife and two daughters.
Amy and Shannon for protection on their missions.
Kevin as he prepares for his final year of seminary and the priesthood.
Marcus as he has been accepted into seminary and will be discerning the priesthood.

Peace, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment