Sunday, November 28, 2010

St. Agnes - Brianne

First off, let me note that Eric was sick this week - it was the first week we've missed him at Mass Chaos, so I felt extra pressure to make sure a blog got up. I apologize for being brief, but I wanted to make sure none of the parishes went without note on the blog!

100_9586_2

This week's Mass Chaos took us to our first non-English mass; we attended mass in Spanish at St. Agnes (22nd & Q). Ron agreed to be our fearless leader, being a fluent Spanish speaker, and I had the benefit of sitting next to him.

Though I am what I'd consider a "bilingual listener," it is amazing how difficult it is to keep up when people are speaking so quickly!!! I've attended mass in Spanish before, and though it is easy to understand where you're at in the Mass, it is nearly impossible to respond (or read responses in Spanish) as quickly as everyone else is. Despite my frustration, I really enjoy the Mass in Spanish. Jen brought up the the point that when the language isn't your own, you listen extra hard to try to understand what's going on. Though I'm sure some of the homily was lost on me, I did a decent job of keeping up...

100_9586_2

What I've always enjoyed about any of the Spanish speaking masses I've been to in the Omaha Archdiocese is that they are always FULL. Mass was near standing room only! I also love that there is a great sense of community - people conversed before and after mass with the people around them.

After mass we decided to walk up the street to 24th and enjoy some Mexican food (keeping with our theme of faith, fellowship, and food!). Yummy!

100_9586_2

No comments:

Post a Comment