Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Saint Joseph's - October 17, 2010 - Eric

What's Happening:
Mass is not an obligation or something to be endured, Mass is a celebration! We gather each week or day to celebrate the greatness that is our Father. The wonder of Jesus saving us from our well deserved judgment. The encouragement that the Spirit provides us. We revel in the lives of the saints. Let's party it up!

Sometimes Mass is loud, musical and crowded, sometimes it is quiet and peaceful. Either way ... or any way, Mass is a moment of joy and love in a world of confusion, doubt, and hatred. Don't leave yourself on the outside, get yourself some churching up!

100_8564
Frank, Ron, Joe, Kat, Teri, Brianne, Me, and Ben ... we know how to celebrate Mass.

Location and Architecture:
Saint Joseph's Parish, 1723 South 17th Street, Omaha. Before we planned this section of our church tour, I probably would not have been aware of Saint Joseph's. Indeed, even walking up to the outside, it wasn't really very impressive, but the inside is amazing. The details of the woodwork, the stained glass, and statuary just took me aback, and I think everyone else too. While it is true that we had a few minutes of having the church to ourselves after Mass, I think more pictures were taken this week than at any other Mass. I can hardly decide what pictures to include.

100_8583 100_8571
100_8586 100_8587
100_8584 100_8566
100_8563
100_8569 100_8570
100_8572 100_8558

You can see all of my pictures of Saint Joseph's Parish here.

Gospel:
"Will not God then secure the rights of his chosen ones who call out to him day and night? Will He be slow to answer them?"Luke 18:1

Here is a theme of my life, discouragement. I was thinking not five minutes ago about how much is stacked against me at my job to get a promotion. Other times I am discouraged about how difficult it is for me to find someone to love of my own. Other times it is something else entirely. I could probably go through a litany of reasons, good reasons, of why it would be better for me to not try, rather to waste my time.

Ah yes, worldly logic, but we're not bound to just what it is here, we have the Creator in our corner. Jesus tells us right here to go to God with our problems, to be persistent, and that God will come through for us. There is a sign on my cube wall at work that quotes "I used to tell God how big my problems were, now I tell my problems how big my God is." (I'm sorry, I don't know the source)

One of the reasons that we avoid God and prayer is because it is difficult. You cannot have a relationship with God and not be changed, and really none of us are good with change. Prayer is asking God for something. God prepares us for what we ask for. We say "Hey God, please let me win the lottery", God may grant us our request, but before He does, he will prepare us for it, so it doesn't ruin our relationship with Him.

Remember, God's goal for us is to spend eternity with Him, not for us to be 100% comfortable in life. God also knows that we are human, and even when we can focus on the prize of eternal life with Him, we can be discouraged or distracted on the way. So He has provided us with instructions, prayer, and the Spirit. My friends, to be encouraged is to be connected to God, let us focus our desires on Him.

Come Holy Spirit and help us to bring our concerns before the Father.

Prayers:
Please pray for:
Tom who is being deployed to Afghanistan, and his wife and two daughters.
Amy and Shannon for protection on their missions.
Frank who is looking for meaningful employment.
Kevin as he prepares for his final year of seminary and the priesthood.
Marcus as he has been accepted into seminary and will be discerning the priesthood.
Frank and Lindsay for blessings on their engagement.
My friend M., who is pregnant, please pray for her and her baby.
My mother Judy to have her back healed.

Next:
Sunday, October 24 @ 9:30am at Mass: Saint Peter's Parish, 709 South 28th Street, Omaha.

Peace, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment