Monday, October 11, 2010

Holy Ghost - October 10, 2010 - Eric

What's Happening:
Congratulation to Mass Chaos regulars Frank and Lindsay who got engaged over the weekend!

I went to a wedding on Saturday too, and although I am happy for the bride and groom, I ended up feeling a little envious. I certainly desire, and pray for, a woman of my own, and I'm certain I probably get in my own way and over think the situation a lot. I try, with various degrees of success to not focus on the issue, because I think that will lead to bad decision making.

Envy is, of course, one of the seven deadly sins. It's not hard to see why it is deadly, I had dear friends get engaged, and someone I respect gets married, and I am talking about me. This is a problem. Me focus really leads to bad decision making. Other focus leads to good decision making or God's decision making.

Kindness is the virtue that opposes envy. Kindness can be something that one does to ones self, but mostly we are kind to one another. Kindness is considering others feelings first. I find kindness in that short pause before I say something stupid, or in listening to what others have on their mind. I wish ... I pray that I get better at both.

Heavenly father, remove from me my envy, and replace it with kindness. Amen.

100_8402
Ron, me, Joe, Kat, Brianne, Lindsay, Frank, and Frank. Our engaged couple is Lindsay in the white shirt, and Frank in the Red shirt.

Location and Architecture:
Holy Ghost Parish, 5219 South 53rd Street, Omaha. Have I mentioned before what I really love about this church tour, the amazing way you walk into a church and you see a different way of interpreting God's kingdom. The church has rules of design, and then allows art to happen. Holy Ghost's building is open and light, the stained glass is impressive, and the music was wonderful.

100_8407

100_8391
100_8392

100_8389

100_8404

100_8399

You can see all of my pictures of Holy Ghost Parish here.

Gospel:
"Jesus said in reply, "Ten were cleansed, were they not? Where are the other nine?"Luke 17:17

Okay, I couldn't resist. We purposely went to Holy Ghost on 10/10/10 because they had a 10am Mass. So here in verse 17:17 of Luke, Jesus refers to ten. The numbers are astounding, and probably meaningless, unless the meaning is to get our attention, but I digress.

This passage is difficult for me. I cannot picture myself as the one who returns to Jesus praising God. My thought is, well Jesus told them to go and present themselves to the priests, isn't that what they should do? My thinking is that I would go and present myself to the priests, and then go and try to find Jesus, and certainly I would give thanks to God.

Perhaps this is one of those times that I am taking this story too literally, regardless, I am not getting it. A friend of mine and I were talking the other day about not understanding certain passages of the Bible. I gave an example of how I didn't understand something to the point of it becoming a stumbling block to me. The priest whom I asked for an explanation went off on a five or six minute long explanation, but at the end I must have still had a confused look on my face, so he paused and said "what does God say when you pray about this?"

Of course, the thought of praying about it hadn't occurred to me, but soon after I did, specifically about the passage in mind. Within a couple of weeks God had shown me several examples of what He meant, and my apprehension disappeared to the point that I know longer remember the example. God does not mean for us to be confused about His word, He has provided us with many translations, the church, the clergy, and our friends all to help us understand His Word, but He also provides to us, Himself.

My friends, don't fret and stress over His word, what the church says, or even when you confuse yourself with your thoughts or actions. Give your confusion to God, and trust that He will show you what it means. I might mean that you have to learn a new point of view, but He will guide you through it all.

Lord, open my mind, and my heart, to the beauty and meaning of your Word.

Prayers:
Please pray for:
Tom who is being deployed to Afghanistan, and his wife and two daughters.
Amy and Shannon for protection on their missions.
Frank who is looking for meaningful employment.
Kevin as he prepares for his final year of seminary and the priesthood.
Marcus as he has been accepted into seminary and will be discerning the priesthood.
Frank and Lindsay for blessings on their engagement.
My friend M., who is pregnant, please pray for her and her baby.
My friend S., who has been ill and fears it might be something serious.
My mother Judy to have her back healed.
Me, and my doctor's appointment this week.

Next:
Sunday, October 17 @ 10:30am at Mass: Saint Joseph Parish, 1723 South 17th Street, Omaha. We got our schedule finalized through the end of the year except for Thanksgiving Day. We know we are going, we just don't know where, when, or if it will be a new church or just an informal gathering.

Peace, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment