Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Saint Bridget - December 3, 2011 - Eric

What's Happening:
Giving up is not an option. I have to laugh every time I give people advice like this. Indeed, giving up is not an option, however having the wherewithal to change your goals is an excellent ability. I find myself at a fork in the road, and really don't particular like either path. One is familiar, but apparently loops around back to this same spot, the other path means going into the unknown. I'm not particularly frightened, but choosing the unfamiliar path means letting go of something I have wanted for a long time, and I already know where the familiar one leads.

I had a close friend that used to to say "I'm not selling out, I'm buying in." It's a phrase about attitude, and there in lies my issue. I don't necessarily have the best attitude about the whole thing. In fact, it can occasionally be really crappy. I feel like I letting go of what I want is being disloyal, that I'm selling out.

In fact what I'm doing is adapting. My plan A didn't happen, so I should be on to plan B. My inability to let go means two things, that I'm putting more value on loyalty than doing what I think is right, and more importantly, I am not trusting God and the path He wants me to go on. The former should probably be well thought through, the latter, however, should not be. Change is not easy, but we should be ready to turn away from what we're doing, and towards what God wants for us.

100_4992
From our visit to Saint Bridget on December 3rd.
Me, Patrick, Jen, Sarah, Maggie, Nancy, Beth, Marilou, Luke, and Joe.

I only took a few photos, because we have been to this church before. I'll be compiling all of the photos from this mini-tour here.

Gospel:
"A voice of one crying out in the desert: ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths.’” Mark 1:3

Why is a voice crying out in the desert? Why not a dense woods, or a lush field, or beautiful coast. A voice cries out in the desert because that is where we are. Without God, we exist in a desert, we are without water, we are without nourishment, we are without shade. Without God, not only do we not have anything, we don't even know what we are missing. Saint John the Baptist came to herald the coming of God's son, our Savior, the one who will lead us out of the desert in to a life of abundance.

Suddenly in the midst of our wanderings, we hear a voice, and we follow it. The voice is that of Saint John, the other saints, angels, and even each of us is capable of making this call. We suddenly realize there is more, so much more, than we are capable of imagining. How do we react? Some, out of fear, or pride, or jealously, react poorly, and reject the call. Some of us however, are drawn towards the voice. We encounter Jesus, and we follow Him. As we travel, our mountains are made low, our valleys are filled in, our paths are made straighter. The voice leads us to paradise, my friends, follow it.

Next week:
Thu, Dec 8 @ 7:00pm - Saint Mararget Mary - 6116 Dodge Street, Omaha
Sat, Dec 11 @ 11:00am - Dowd Memorial Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, Boys Town

No comments:

Post a Comment