Sunday, July 11, 2010

Saint Columbkille

Lately I have to admit I'm starting to get a bit stressed out. I currently have a temporary job that's winding down, which means I'm on the hunt for a new position. Part of what I was hoping to gain by taking part in this endeavour is a some discernment on what to do next. I am the kind of person that likes to have a plan in place so I can focus myself towards that goal. This position has been challenging in a lot of different ways, so in that sense I've been focused on solving those issues. Though, it doesn't help much for planning for the future. I try to put together the talents I've seen myself show in these past months, and I wonder where God wants me to put them to use. If you're the praying kind, I wouldn't mind a little shoutout for this. If you're the more practical kind, I wouldn't mind a little advice either. :)

Today we went to Saint Columbkille (200 East Sixth Street, Papillion). It has been a church of note for us, since both myself and Brianne managed to go there on different weeks thinking it was the church we were supposed to go to. It is also of note since I also forgot to take a picture outside.
I thought the statue at the altar was really eye-catching.

Group shot!
Left to Right: Top: Patrick, Eric, Brianne, Frank, Frank
Bottom: Jen, Kat, Kit, Teri, Katie, and Joe


The Gospel for this week was from Luke (10:25-37). It was the parable of the good Samaritan. It is one of those passages from the Bible that even if you never really read the Bible, you're at least familiar with it. I won't beat you over the head with that aspect. What I like about Jesus is he answers a question with a story. If you know me at all, I am much the same way. It's not always the most efficient way to do things, but it gives you something just being told an answer doesn't: context and a frame to wrap that in. If Jesus just said, "Hey buddy, just love everybody...duh!" I think we would scratch our head over it a little more, or at the very least feel like it is an impossible task. Within the frame of the story, loving our neighbors comes down one moment, one decision. And it's up to us to see that we have that opportunity when we interact with others.

Also of note was the speaker at the end of the mass, Shannon Zurcher. She is serving as a missionary for FOCUS (Fellowship of Catholic University Students) at the University of Illinois at Chicago, my alma mater.
I enjoyed my time spiritually while I was there. I took a break from the regular campus groups, since I had just finished out my second year as a Bible study leader for InterVarsity and needed a bit of a recharge when I transferred in. The Newman Center was a great place for me: I arranged my schedule so I could attend daily mass there, and it was a great place to study too (not during mass, of course).

When I think back on those days, it amazes me how much of my faith was solidified. It was my choice to be confirmed, but it wasn't until I was out there on my own and I found myself still drawn back to the church that I knew this was for me. I had help along the way from people like Shannon, knowledgeable yet still not so far from the people she reaches out to. She didn't ask me to write any of this, but I'm sure she'd love your support. You can contact her at szurcher@focusonline.org to find out how you can help her out. She did mention she'd be out of the country for a few weeks, so she might not get back to you right away, but I'm sure she'll get back to you.

-Frank

Up next week: July 18 - "Unofficial" Mass Chaos at Saint Mary's Parish (West Point, NE) @ 10am
If you'd like more information on what we're doing, there's the related information on the left side, or you can find us on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment