Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Saint Rose of Lima - January 9, 2011 - Eric

What's Happening:
Marilou gave me the clue last week. I had a multiday migraine, and she mentioned to me that Saint Teresa of Avila was the patron saint of headaches. It turns out there are several, and as I looked at each one I pulled up a website for Saint Gemma Galgani, this website had a picture on the front page, and rarely in my life have I been so taken aback by anything I have seen.

Saint Gemma Galgani

The first picture on the page shows Saint Gemma Galgani, and her face has a very interesting feature, a half closed eye. This is exactly what happens to me when I get a migraine. The pain is almost always behind my left eye, and it makes it droopy. I felt an instant connection with Saint Gemma, a connection of peace. I read her story (from several sources) and I feel quite inspired, and stronger. My boss remarked that apparently I had a new patron.

I love the saints, the heroes of the church. We are taught so much by the example of their lives. Even though they are in heaven, they take an interest in our lives. They pray with us when we are strong, and for us when we are not.

Thank you Lord for the example of people who love you first.


Frank, Marilou, Me, Lindsay, Jen, Frank, Teri, Joe, and Patrick. We braved a little bit of snow, and a little bit of sleep deprivation to be there at 9:00am.

Location and Architecture:
Saint Rose of Lima, 4102 South 13th Street. Here is why I shouldn't write about architecture. The first thing I notice about Saint Rose is that it doesn't have a sprinkler system, and then I notice the beautiful ceiling. The stained glass behind the loft was an amazing blue color, even with a dull, snowy sky. I want to thank the parishioners for their kind offer of taking a poinsettia with us, but I had to decline, I have a cat.











You can see all of my pictures of our visit to Saint Rose of Lima here.

Gospel:
"John tried to prevent him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and yet you are coming to me?'" Matthew 3:14

Jesus, fully divine has no needs of baptism. Jesus, fully human, does not either because He is without sin. So, what's the big deal? Why did He do it?

I have always felt that one of the most important things that Jesus did for us is remove our ability to credibly say "God doesn't know what we are going through." While this statement is wrong anyway, it could be easy for someone to imply that God is separate from us, and therefore has no first hand knowledge of what it is like to be human.

Not so fast my friend, Jesus may be fully divine, but He is also fully human, and experienced life in the same way that we do. Jesus was hungry, Jesus was thirsty, and like us, Jesus was in need of a connection with our Father. The Gospels are full of Jesus leading by example of the way to do this. Jesus allowing John to baptize Him is just another example His leadership in getting us to God.

Jesus, lead us to the Father.

Prayers:
Please pray for:
Tom who is deployed to Afghanistan, and his wife and two daughters.
Amy and Shannon for protection on their missions.
Kevin as he prepares for his final year of seminary and the priesthood.
Marcus as he has been accepted into seminary and will be discerning the priesthood.
My friend M., who is pregnant, please pray for her and her baby.

Next:
January 16th @ 10:30 Saint Wenceslaus, 15353 Pacific Street, Millard.

Peace, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment